Think of a typical hour of your time. How do you spend this?
We spend a typical hour in the following way:
- 22% on social networking sites
- 21% on searching for information
- 20% on reading content
- 19% on emails
- 13% on multi media sites
- 5% on online shopping
Social networking activities win a clear lion’s share of people’s attention, with this set of data suggesting that Facebook captures an average of more than 465 minutes of people’s time each month.
Highest growing trends of online usage:
- 27% Location based services
- 27% Time shift TV
- 19% Internet Banking
Least growing trends of online usage include:
- 12% User created videos
- 12% Live internet videos
- 12% Professionally created videos
So here are three of my surprises after viewing the Infographic:
- With growth of internal social networks in companies, more employees will be encouraged and see value in creating user-generated videos. Is this really on the downward shift?
- Forrester predicts the social enterprise software industry will become a $6.4 billion market by 2016. What happens to email? How long will it be taking up almost 20% of our typical hour during the day? Will this go down to 5% and how fast? If you listen to what companies like Jive, Moxie say, the death of email is right around the corner.
- The Global online population is exploding with 30% of world’s population. If Chinese users spend five hours a week shopping online, what does this mean for emerging markets in Africa, Vietnam and Indonesia, will they follow suit?
Here is the How We Spend Our Time Online Infographic.
Share your surprises with me here on the blog.